Now don't take it the wrong way, having a schedule to keep you on track is very important. You want to keep yourself on a path to reaching your goals; but if you feel like you are getting to the point where you are not inspired and can't bring yourself to "Think Outside the Box" you need to open up to everything around you.
I will use myself as an example. My ideas for my graphic work won't come to me just looking at a blank piece of paper. There is nothing inspiring about that. I need to start sketching and just drawing shapes and patterns without thinking about it too hard because I don't want to put a limit on my brainstorming step. Sometimes getting out markers and adding some colour combos in my sketches can spark other things as well and that is how it begins,
For a perfect project, of course, I wish everything came that easy. Sometimes I need to step back from the computer. Sometimes I can sketch out ideas for a project but I may not be satisfied where it is heading; so I turn for other means of inspiration.
Inspiration in Nature:
- get outside and see the colours and patterns and how everything just blends together perfectly
So many times I just have to start doing something else for a bit and then it will come to me when I'm not stressing about it.
- Go for a walk, open up your mind and do something that makes you happy
Using tools for Inspiration:
Using online tools/books etc is amazing to learn from. You can see what has worked in the past and what is working now. This is not to copy others work; but to learn from it.
- Pinterest and Google for ideas: Colours, Shapes, Textures or whatever you need depending on your business.
Sometimes I can have a huge folder of things that have nothing to do with each other. But when I layer them or overlap I can get a better visual of what works or not. It opens my eyes to much more. (Same idea as going back to nature. Seeing the different textures in trees/plants against man- made materials)
- Read other blogs; get a new perspective and see what you may agree or not agree with and put your own twist on it.
- Connect with other people. Create relationships with people that you look up to, that you can learn from and hopefully you can help them out as well.
- Talk or write about your ideas or blocks you are having. It can help get your creativity flowing.
Inspiration is everywhere; you just need to open your eyes to see it all around you.
Where do you go; or what do you do for your inspiration?